Sunday, July 05, 2009

Hope you all had a great 4th of July..........

It was gorgeous here! Mid 70's at most, sun, a breeze...........what more could we ask for? We got together with family at a park for an event called Freedomfest, ate some good food, played Washers (kind of like horseshoes) and Yahtzee (found a cool travel edition at Dollar General) and saw some fantastic fireworks in the evening.

Here's a pic of the cute cupcakes I made :) Those gummy bears proudly waved the flag! I also made the little jar lamps. LOVE those LED candle lights from The Dollar Tree that flicker!

And patriotic brownies...........nothing was safe from me and a flag pick yesterday! LOL The brownies had a Rolo candy in the center and of course red/white/blue sprinkles :)
And our pretty centerpiece. I must confess I did not make this. We had gone to a big yard sale at one of my fave Amish salvage stores and they had these for $4! I simply added the flags and we took it along for our picnic. How could I go wrong for 4 bucks??? The flower colors are amazing!

Dear son Zach (aka Bud) cooking up burgers and dogs :) The corn is roasting on the other grill. YUMMY ! You can't see but our grill tools are Craftsman! I found them on clearance on Sears Ebay site last year. I got DSIL a set too. EVERY man needs Craftsman grill tools!




A ruthless game of Washers! This is DD Mandy and DSIL Robby. She teamed up with me and he was with our son J.



And here we are. The team of Mandy & Deb were victorious! WOOT! Take that BOYS! I have to be honest and thank Mandy for the win........she used to be a pitcher back when she played slow-pitch softball and she has pretty good aim.


At one point, Robby thought he needed his helmet! That's actually the lid to his grill (Eagles grill obviously!) AND they found that grill at a yard sale earlier this season for $5!



And after the food, games, and other fun came................

LOTS of them. The show was over 30 minutes long!


And during the grand finale.............Old Glory was raised by a HUGE crane! I thought this picture was really cool with the fireworks showing through the flag (thanks to dh and his photography skills!)

And later the servicemen who were honored earlier in the program posed in front of the flag. One of them even proposed to his girlfriend on stage (YES, he got down on one knee! ahhhhh!). She said YES! It was SO sweet!


We couldn't have asked for a better day. Family, food, remembering WHY we celebrate the 4th of July, thanking some servicemen, thanking God that we live in this country, gorgeous weather. SO much to be thankful for!

I hope all of you had a fab day!

Deb

No comments: